02 03 Sweet Mornings: Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 32 33

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones

34
Scones, for some reason I have an irrational fear of making scones.  I really am not sure why because its not like I even have much to judge scones by.  The only scone I remember eating is a really dy one in an airport years and years ago.  I think it is because when I look at the recipe and see the phrase "cut butter into" I panic.  I am not good with a pastry blender.  I make a mess....and panic.....and..... but I decided to put on my big girl panties and give scones a try.  I searched and searched and finally found a recipe that was sort of kind of what I was looking for... but not exactly....so I changed the ingredients to suit my tastes and they were REALLY YUMMY!!!!!!



I added oatmeal and chocolate chips and they were surprisingly good.  A bit of texture and chocolate.  My daughter asked what we were having for breakfast and when I said scones she made a face, you know the teenage "What were you thinking face" (I think she wanted donuts), and then she tried one, and finished it and asked for another. Success:))  I baked half the recipe for breakfast and put the rest in the fridge for dessert.  After dinner we had the second half with strawberries and ice cream, a nice alternative to shortcake.  I'm still intimidated by  "cut butter.." but scones, at least these scones are going to be added to my "go to" recipes.  They are perfect for a sweet morning.



Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Scones
adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours

Printer Friendly Recipe

1 egg
½ cup yogurt
¼ cup milk
1 ⅔ cups flour
1 ⅓ cups oatmeal
⅓ cup sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 cup mini chocolate chips
10 Tbsp cold butter, cut into pieces

Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Stir together egg, yogurt, and buttermilk.

Combine flour, oatmeal, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
Using a pastry blender cut the butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is pebbly.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry along with the mini chocolate chips. Stir until combined.
Knead about 10 times.
Divide in half. Pat each half into a circle and cut each circle into 6 pieces.
Place the pieces on the baking pan.

Bake 20 minutes.

NOTE: Scones may be frozen before baking, wrap individually. When baking frozen scones increase baking time for about 2 minutes.

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38